1. It’s snowing. Ugh.
2. Earth Hour 2012 is this Saturday, 3/31. I was reading about it at the Eco Women’s page. I think we’ll participate this year (maybe start at 7:30, since 8:30 is lights off time already for some of us). I’m thinking about dinner by candlelight and maybe some silly ghost stories….
4. Despite the fact that there is a Jerome doll that reverses into a lion (I am not making this up) you should go and vote for Dietrich Bonhoeffer at Lent Madness today. It’s kitsch week at Lent Madness. My children don’t appreciate the kitsch in general but I’m guessing the lion might change that a bit.
5. Do you have a favorite parsnip recipe? We have some spring-dug parsnips from the Free Range Farm Truck this week. They are supposed to be really good but I haven’t decided what to do with them. I may default to my standard “cut them up and roast them” Root Vegetable Solution.
6. It’s been a crazy week. I’m still beat from waking up with Sam… I think the perpetual ear infections have done a number on all of us.
8. I made a lot of pear butter last year– it was tasty but the children didn’t like it plain. It is wonderful in baked goods, though. We have used it in french toast and most recently in baked oatmeal. I make this basic recipe for baked oatmeal, but take a lot of liberties with it. When I used the pear butter in place of applesauce, I left out the oil entirely and didn’t miss it. We usually substitute blueberries for raspberries since I froze (many) more.